My favourite ever brownie recipe!
These brownies deliver on every possible level of deliciousness. They include hazelnuts – not just from the nuts themselves, but also from the flavour of coffee and chocolate I used – coffee and sea salt.
I drizzled mine with extra dark chocolate, sprinkled them with a little more sea salt and added more toasted hazelnuts, all optional of course. As is the choice of nuts; choose what you like, walnuts and pecans work especially well with this.
I use a mix of flax and chia as an egg replacement, you can just use flax if you wish. Also, you can swap for a GF flour blend it should work, however I am yet to try with this particular recipe. I’d love to hear how it goes if you do.
This recipe uses a hazelnut-flavoured granulated coffee and dark chocolate, but any strong coffee or plain chocolate will work too.
- Serves:approx 16
For the brownies
2 tbs ground flax
1 tbs chia seed
8tbs strong brewed coffee
¾ cup soft brown sugar
7 tbs vegan butter
1 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate I used hazelnut flavoured
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 scant cup of plain flour
¼ cup raw cacao or Dutch cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp sea salt
¼ cup toasted roughly chopped hazelnuts
50g dark chocolate
Good pinch sea salt
3 tbs roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Mix the flax, chia and coffee together and set aside
- In a metal bowl over a pan of gentle simmering water melt the dark chocolate.
- In a free-standing mixer or handheld, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt, bicarb and cacao powder, set aside.
- When the butter and sugar is light and fluffy gradually add in the flax/chia coffee mix, it will curdle, followed by the vanilla bean paste and melted chocolate keep whisking on a low speed until thoroughly combine and glossy.
- Remove from the stand and fold through the flour mix and hazelnuts.
- Pour into a lined baking dish roughly 8-inch square.
- Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- It will seem under cooked but will firm up once cooled. If you like your brownies slightly more cooked continue for a further 5 minutes max.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking dish, ideally for several hours.
- Melt your remaining chocolate and drizzle over the brownies and top with extra sea salt and hazelnuts, cut into square, a size of your choosing.