This recipe is so simple, I’m not sure it really counts as actual cooking!
Juicy, jammy plums lightly spiced with cinnamon, vanilla and star anise, wrapped in flaking puff pastry and crunchy almonds. Delicious, warm out the oven or room temperature. Could be a dessert or breakfast pastry for friends and family, you decide.
I used shop brought puff pastry, as long as you don’t buy the ‘all butter’ type it should be vegan. You can also buy a gluten-free version now too.
It’s basically assembling the ingredients together and baking, you can use the same recipe with so may other fruits and depending on the time of year mix up the spices too.
1 320g packet ready rolled puff pastry
6-8 plums halved and stoned
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbs ground almonds
2 tbs plant milk I used oat
¼ flaked almonds
1-2 tbs demerara sugar (optional)
Plant based Vanilla ice cream
Vegan Cream fraiche
Plant based yogurts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Unroll the puff pastry it usually comes on a baking sheet, so you transfer it straight to a baking tray. If not place on a lined baking tray.
- In a bowl combine the plums with maple syrup, vanilla bean paste, cinnamon, star anise and cinnamon stick. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle the ground almonds into the centre of the pastry leaving a 2-inch boarder.
- Place the plums on top of the ground almonds along with any juices left in the bowl.
- Fold up the sides of pastry around the plums, no need to be too precious.
- Brush the edges with plant milk and press on the flaked almonds. And sprinkle with sugar if using.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the pastry has puffed up and is golden brown and the plums are releasing their jammy juices.