*WHIP, WHIP, WHIP* – that’s the secret with aquafaba (chickpea juice)! Chill it first before you start your whipping too. Other essentials for success in this recipe include using a low heat and ensuring a long rest post-cook in the oven.
So versatile, this meringue can be served with an array of toppings, or as Eton Mess and for lemon meringue pie.
For the meringue
100ml chickpea juice chilled
120g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the passion fruit
1 cup passion fruit pulp
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
Toasted coconut flakes
Coconut yogurt whipped or coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 120°C
- Whip, whip, whip the aquafaba (chickpea juice) for 15 minutes. Add sugar 1 tbs at a time and leave to mix a good minute or two before adding the next.
- Dollop onto lines baking tray and place in the oven for 2 hours. Turn oven off and leave for a further hour. Viola!
- To make the passion fruit, combine in a small pan the pulp, water and sugar and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat to cool. the passion fruit should look glossy and clear.
- Top as you wish, but here you have coconut yogurt, passion fruit pulp, lime and coconut flakes.
- Serve on the day you make them and do not top with anything until just before serving.
They are still good the next day if stored in an airtight container.