AKA The Summer Cookie!
These tick all the cookie boxes: crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle, perfectly sweet and dangerously moorish. I challenge you to just eat one!
Adaptable too, you can swap for various dried fruits and mix up the spices accordingly. If you omit the coconut, I’d recommend adding a little more rolled oats. Equally, you could swap in a GF flour.
I chose coconut sugar and brown rice syrup, but you could use alternatives such as granulated or soft brown sugar and date or golden syrup.
- Serves:makes approx 20
100g rolled jumbo oats
150g plain flour
50g desiccated coconut
150g coconut sugar
120g plan based butter
2tbs brown rice syrup
½ cup roughly chopped dried mango
6-8 cardamon pods seeds removed and ground
Zest of 2 limes
Good pinch of sea salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tbs boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 140°C fan
- Mix the oats, flour, coconut, sugar, dried mango, cardamom, lime zest and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Put the butter and brown rice syrup in a small pan over a medium heat and stir until melted, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put the bicarb in a small bowl and stir in the boiling water, then add to the butter mixture. It will froth a little.
- Add the wet mix to the dry and stir well to combine.
- Roll tablespoons into walnut sized pieces and place roughly 5cm apart on baking parchment. Flatten them slightly with your palm.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until a golden brown. They will firm a little more once cooled.
- Remove from the baking sheet and onto a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.