This delicious crispy tofu comes with a zingy wasabi & ginger mayonnaise and quick oink pickled radishes.
It’s very simple to through together and makes a delightful light lunch or a great starter option. I could also serve a pile of them with little bowls of the wasabi mayo to dip the crispy tofu in, at a drinks party.
If you want to make a meal of it, I recommend adding some grains such as fragrant rice, or noodles.
280g extra firm tofu
¼ cup cornflour
1 tsp Szechuan pepper
1 tsp pink pepper corns
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp sea salt
3-4 tbs light oil, I use ground nut.
Wasabi Ginger Mayo
½ cup of your favourite vegan mayo I like follow your heart veganaise
1-2 tbs wasabi paste
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Juice 1 lime
Good pinch sea salt
½ cup radish sliced or quartered
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
- Start by draining the tofu, you can press it if you wish or as I often do, give it a squeeze with kitchen towels.
- Dice into roughly 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Using a pestle and mortar roughly grind the peppercorns and place in a small bowl with the corn flour white pepper and salt, stir to combine and set aside.
Add the sliced or quartered radishes to a small bowl and add the vinegar and sugar, mix to dissolve the sugar and set aside stirring occasionally.
- In another small bowl mix all the ingredients for the Wasabi and Ginger mayonnaise, taste for seasoning, adding extra wasabi, lime, ginger or salt to taste.
- Prep your salad veggies of choice.
- When you are ready to serve, heat the light oil in a pan, combine the cornflour mix with the tofu and shake to coat all the pieces.
- When the oil is hot add the tofu in batches, 3-4 batches should be enough, tossing and turning the tofu until it is crispy and lightly golden on all sides. Place on a kitchen towel to drain and repeat until all the tofu is cooked.
- You can place the cooked tofu in a warm oven whilst frying the rest.
- Serve the tofu on a plate with salad of choice a good dollop of wasabi mayo and a spoonful of quick pickled radish. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.