Looking for an indulgent boozy weekend brunch? Look no further. Make these fluffy American pancakes made with rich raw cacao and vanilla, layered with fruity compote infused with a good hit of Brockmans Gin, creamy vanilla yogurt and finished with fresh berries.
This is a gooey sticky stack of decadent deliciousness and certainly something for a special weekend treat.
I was delighted to collaborate and create a recipe for Brockmans Gin, where the more traditional notes of gin are combined with a refreshing influence of citrus and aromatic wild blackberries and blueberries. This creates an intensely smooth gin taste that is sensual and daringly different.
For the pancakes
1 cup almond or oat milk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
2 heaped tbs good raw cacao powder
2 tbs caster sugar
Pinch of salt
For the berries gin compote
1 cup blackberries
1 cup blueberries
3 tbs caster sugar
1 tbs maple syrup
¼ cup Brockmans Gin
2 tbs Coconut or ground nut oil to cook the pancakes
Plant based vanilla yogurt/whipped coconut cream
- In a small bowl combine the wet ingredients and set aside.
- In a larger bowl combine the dry and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the berries, sugar and syrup and heat on medium, cook the berries stirring regularly until they release all their juices. Continue to bubble until the compote thickens slightly and the berries have broken down. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the berries are ready remove from the heat set aside and allow to cool a little.
- When you are ready to serve, combine the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to combine. Do not over mix, it’s okay if there are a few lumps in the batter. Set the batter aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan to high. Add a little oil to coat the pan, add dollops of batter and cook the pancakes until bubbles appear in the centre and the edges are beginning to dry. Flip and cook for a further minute or two. Remove from the heat and cook the remaining pancakes.
- Before serving stir the gin into the compote.
- Serve 2-3 pancakes per person depending on size, top with a few tablespoons of compote and dollops of yogurt. Finish with extra fresh berries.