This gorgeous baked ‘feta’ works perfectly served with crusty bread and a simple green salad.
You can always make some adaptions to spice things up. Try adding chilli flakes, or use green and black olives. Or swap the tomatoes for thinly sliced red peppers and a touch of sweet smoked paprika. Be as creative as you like, or just use whatever you have on hand.
I used an extra-large block of Firm Tofu and it made four thick slices. If you want to make less, half the recipe or make the full recipe and just break up your remaining slices into large chunks and place in a jar topped with the left-over marinade. This will last a good week.
This recipe uses my classic Tofu feta marinade
For the tofu ‘feta’
1 XL block extra Firm Tofu 450g
1 Tofu Feta Marinade
For the toppings
4 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
1 cup black olives
2-4 tbs capers
4 garlic cloves skin on and bashed
Small bunch thyme leaves
2 tsp zaatar
Ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
- Mix up a batch of the Marinade for the Tofu Feta.
- Cut the tofu into 4 thick slices, and place into a shallow dish, pour over the marinade tossing the tofu slices in it gentle. Cover and refrigerate overnight preferable or at least 4-6 hours, turning the tofu in the marinade once or twice.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180C Fan.
- Take one large, or 2-4 small baking dishes, depending on how you are making. Place a slice of tofu in each and add a few tbs of the marinade to each.
- Add the tomatoes, some halved, black olives roughly broken, capers, a garlic clove, thyme springs, a few glugs of extra virgin olive oil, a good grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of zaatar to each.
- Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, until bubbling and the tofu has turned lightly golden and the tomatoes have burst and are soft.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before serving with crusty bread, green salad and maybe a nice chilled glass of crisp white wine. Cheers!