This recipe uses a classic gram flour batter, you can add in any seasonal vegetables, herbs and spices or any leftover roasted vegetables from Sunday lunch. It’s the ideal ‘use up’ meal.
These are super simple, gluten-free and everybody loves them.
For the fritters
1 cup of gram flour
1 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of launched green peas
6 spring onions finely sliced
small bunch of tarragon leaves roughly chopped
2 tbs light oil
Salt and pepper
Chives finely chopped (optional)
Mint and Cucumber Yogurt
1 cup of plain plant based yogurt
three baby cucumber or ¼ a large cucumber thinly sliced
full sprigs of fresh mint leaves roughly chopped
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper
- Divide your peas into two bowls, using a hand blender, the back of a fork or food processor blend half the peas into a rough mash.
- In a large bowl add the gram flour, water, mashed peas, spring onions, roughly chopped tarragon leaves, a teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper. if you’re using chives at these two. Whisk together to form a smooth batter, add in the remaining peas and spring onions and stir to combine set aside.
- In another bowl add the yogurt thinly sliced or quartered cucumber roughly chopped mint leaves lemon juice and a good pinch of salt and pepper stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium to high with a little light oil, add dollops of fritter batter and cook for a few minutes on each side until cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter and oiling the pan as necessary.
- Serve three to four fritters per person with a couple of tablespoons of the mint and cucumber yogurt a few sliced radishes and some pea shoot or micro herbs if using.