A traditional cake, but with a total flavour twist. And warning, this more unusual filling tastes amazing! It’s highly addictive. Do not make this unless you have other people to share it with, otherwise you WILL end up eating it all yourself.
Be careful not to allow the dough to over prove, especially at the second proving, as this will give a dry, airy bread. One hour at each in a warm place, or proving drawer, is plenty.
The sugar pearls are not essential, but add a delicious crunch.
For the dough
350g oo flour, plus extra for dusting
50g coconut sugar/soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cardamom
7g sachet of dried yeast
30g vegan butter melted
200ml oat milk room temp or slightly warm
For the filling
80g vegan butter
40g caster sugar
1 tbs matcha powder
1 tbs ground cardamom
3 tbs finely chopped pistachio nuts
For the glaze
¼ cup cater sugar
¼ cup water
2 tbs sugar pearls to finish
- Combine all the dough ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer if using. Combine with a wooden spoon to form a sticky dough.
- With the dough attached knead the dough for about 10 mins, until it firms up.after which time take a small lump and lightly stretch it, you should see the light through the dough. Alternatively you may kneed by hand.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly dusted surface and shape into a ball, place in a lightly dusted bowl and cover with cling film or tea towel and set aside some where warm for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready remove from the bowl and place on a lightly dusted surface, roll into a large rectangle shape about 0.5cm thick.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Then roll up into a fairly tight sausage length ways.
- Using a sharp knife cut the sausage in half length ways and twist the two pieces over one another like a rope.
- Pinch the ends and slightly tuck under. place the babka onto a lined baking tray.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place or proving draw for a further 45 minutes-1-hour max.
- With 15 minutes left of proving preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Once they have had their final prove, place into the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Whilst cooking heat the sugar and water until simmering. Reduce a little and then take off the heat.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush on the sugar syrup glaze liberally. Sprinkle with sugar pearls if using.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice or tear ‘n’ share.