There is nothing posh about these baked beans, they are just done properly without all the rubbish, plus they are actually baked. And they taste awesome, like baked beans should.
You can change the butterbeans for haricot or cannellini beans, which would be the more traditional choice. I like to use beans from jars as opposed to tins, as I find the quality better and I can include the juices around them. Dried beans that have been soaked overnight would work but would need cooking first. Tinned are fine, but I always drain and rinse them as I don’t like the taste of the brine around them.
I use liquid smoke here, but its not essential as can be difficult to get hold of.
- Prep time:5 minutes
- Cook time:30-40 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
1 600g jar butter beans or equivalate
1 tun chopped tomatoes
1 garlic clove minced
1 tbs sweet smoked paprika
1 tbs tamari soy sauce
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp dried thyme or more fresh
1 tsp sea salt
Good grind of black pepper
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2-300g vine tomatoes (optional)
Fresh thyme sprigs
Sourdough to toast
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a baking dish, add all the ingredients except a few thymes springs the extra virgin olive oil and the vine tomatoes. Stir gently to combine fully.
- Top with the vine tomatoes and drizzle with the oil.
- Place in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and the sauce has thickened a little.
- Finish with a few sprigs of thyme and serve on hot ‘buttered’ toasted sourdough.