Easy peasy recipe for a delicious snack cake, to be munched on over the week, or as a little treat to get you through the morning.
It can be served warm with ice cream too and if you double up on the caramel sauce you can add a little extra on serving.
feel free omit the salt in the caramel and adjust the spices to suit, as ever most of my recipes are very easily adaptable.
- Prep time:15 minutes
- Cook time:30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- Serves:12-18 squares
4 medium ripe bananas mashed
1/3 cup almond milk or alternative
1/4 cup light oil (groundnut)
1 tbs apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups white/spelt/ or GF plain flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
Pinch of sea salt
½ cup light soft brown sugar
½ cup vegan butter
½ tsp sea salt
4 bananas halved length ways or a mix of baby bananas
- In a small pan combine the sugar and butter for the caramel layer, heat until the combined and bubbling, allow to reduce a little and then stir in the salt.
- Pour into the base of lightly greased 8×12 inch tin or equivalent.
- Top with the banana halves and set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 180 fan.
- Mix together the wet ingredients and set aside.
- Mix together the dry, add the wet into the dry and fold until just combine.
- Pour batter over the caramel and banana layer and spread evenly.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, test with a skewer to see if it comes out clean.
- You should be able to see the caramel bubbling around the edges and the sponge lightly golden.
- Allow to rest in the tin for a good 30 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate or board.
- However, if serving as a dessert warm then turn out straight away and serve with ice-cream or custard.
- Cut into square as desired, eat as it is or with a dollop of dairy free yogurt.